Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lots of Sweat

Only three showed to the noon class today.  Me, a Purple, and a Blue.  Professor had us do a short warm-up followed by 15mins of grip fighting (rotating, round robin).  I was reminded, yet again, that my grips are terribly weak and I have limited ability to break opponents grips.  After 15 mins of grip fighting, I was already drenched and breathing heavy.  We transitioned to 20mins of 3min round robin rounds starting from turtle.  Switched top to bottom after the first points scored.  Finished with 30 mins of 6min rounds starting from de la riva.  Again, round robin with top/bottom switches after 3mins.

By the end, I could barely move.  My muscles were rubber and the guys, both ~20lbs lighter than me, were pretty much having their way with me by the end.  I tapped four times.  Twice to the Purple (kimura variation and choke from back) and twice to the Blue (arm bar from guard and choke from back).  The Blue started BJJ about four months after me.  Funny.  I remember a time, back in the day, when I could turn him into a pretzel.  No longer.  Sheesh.  To be young again.   I really opened up my game against the Purple.  Experimented with open guard.  De la riva, reverse de la riva, inverted, 50/50, inverted 50/50, X-guard, and bit of half guard.  Got several sweeps and near sweeps.  Paid the price via back take for experimentation multiple times.  But I'm pleased with the experimentation.  Purple seemed pleased too.  Said I threw things at him that really made him work to retain base.

With both guys, I tried my best to hold my ground, not give up sweeps, and not bail to turtle.  I remained disciplined at first, but fatigue got to me and by the end I found myself giving up sweeps and retreating to turtle far too much.  Bleh.

203.0 post-train.  Woke up 206.0 and had breakfast, lots of coffee, a protein bar, lots of water, and coconut water before noon training.  So...I must have sweat a lot in class today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment