Friday, April 27, 2012

Last Training before Phoenix Open

Tough class last night.  Aggressive warm-up followed by slow yoga-style stretch session.  Drilled sweep / pass the guard.  Guard position had one hand in belt.   Then 2-min rounds training with rotating one hand.  For example, one guy starts with left hand in the belt.  At 2-min, switch hands.  At 4-min, other guy starts with left hand.  At 6-min, other guy switches hands.  At 8-min, switch partners, repeat x 6.  Worked with a Brown, two Purples, and three Blues.  Finished with a 10-min round.  Got a tough young Blue who gives me lots of trouble.  Professor pulled me out at 5-min mark due to Phoenix Open.  Said to rest.  Great class.  Very sore this morning.  Keeping one hand in the belt really makes you rely on hip movement.

Phoenix Open brackets are up.   The guy I fight in the first round has videos on YouTube.  I can't figure out why a guy with the same name and same school fought in the Middle Weight division the past two years, but is in the Super Heavy division this year.  Maybe it's not the same guy?  If it is the same guy, I see tons of holes in his game.  That said, he's VERY aggressive and a bit spazzy.  I'll have my hands full controlling the pace.  A Purple advised me last night not to put any stock in the YouTube videos and just play my game.  Good advice.

Post-train @ 204.2lbs.  Woke up this morning @ 205.4lbs.  That's basically 2.5lbs from making the Heavy division (with gi weight).  If I had known I would be that close to Heavy a day out from the Phoenix Open, I would have dropped a division and cut more aggressively.  'Tis okay though.  I'll make <201 for next weekend's Grappling X and continue at a healthy pace of 1-3lbs per week to reach 185lbs (Medium-Heavy) by the Master/Senior Worlds at the end of July.

2 comments:

  1. i know we are not on the same team, but kill it man! action beats reaction every time!! impose your will on them!!

    never have a competition mind set thinking you have time, or can start 'on the bottom'/weak and hope to catch them in a mistake.

    fast, relentless, fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks rowdy. Yeah...I'm not fast, relentless, or fierce. I'll try to work on that. :-)

    Didn't you say you train at Atos? If so, Morizi looked real good in his first tourney at Brown. Solid fights. If not Atos, sorry. Where do you train again?

    ReplyDelete